Saturday, February 7, 2015

To show up or not to show up, that is THE question!

This has been a nightmare....
Right when R is dealing with more stress at work than he ever has, we are having huge contractor issues,  hence the title of this post.
Due to spotty attendance during the summer regarding our wall project, we confirmed with the contractor before the floor and kitchen demolition started that our house would be the ONLY project he was working on. We were promised that once this project started, our house would be the only project.  We even made sure that he was being paid enough money to ensure we were the only project and he said yes.

Well, he was ok during the demolition of the floor and was ok for a couple days of floor install, but that's when the "reasons" he didn't show up started.  I was told he was showing up at 9ish, so I would be up and ready.  Nobody was here at 9ish, 10ish, 11ish, etc.  No calls, no texts and IF I got a call, it was always later in the day.  The longer he went in the day without a call, the more outlandish the excuse was because he felt bad he hadn't called.  Sometimes no call at all. We always had our prep jobs completed and ready to go for him (removing nails from and painting the subfloors with KILZ) even if we had to stay up until 3am to do it.  When he said he was going to be here,  I changed appointments to be completely available to GET THIS JOB DONE.  Then he wouldn't show.

After not showing up yet another time when he said he would, I asked him one more time whether he wanted to do this job at all.  I told him it was OK if he didn't, we just needed to know and then embarrassingly, I started crying.  Then asked yet again if he was being paid enough to show up.
He said, "yes, I want to do this job...I will be here from now on and yes, I am being paid enough".

After this discussion, he showed up for a couple days which included completing the floor and stair tread install....and then he was bored again and the pattern started up again.
Before the pattern started again, this happened....

LET THE MAN-DISCUSSION BEGIN
So, you know the "stain guy" that I hired? He is a very good flooring guy and although I was only hiring him to help me pick a stain color when he walked IN the door.  Things began to change when he walked out.

While the flooring guy was in my house, he couldn't help but look around at the flooring install done by the contractor...WHILE the contractor was there working on the stair tread install.

A little back story:
During the install I requested for him to do something in particular around the fireplace that I thought would look good.  He passed the first fireplace without doing it and when I asked him about it, he blew me off.  There was nothing I could do because there was at least 6 feet of flooring installed beyond the fireplace. I let it go however requested that he do what I wanted on the 2nd fireplace.  Once again, he did not do what I asked and passed the fireplace without doing what I asked.
What the heck was I supposed to do?  He was doing whatever he wanted in my house and this was only one of many things that was going wrong that we didn't know how to handle.
End of little back story....

Well, when the flooring guy came in, he noticed the fireplace area right away and asked me about it. I told him I requested the fireplace area be done another way and the flooring guy said that the way it was installed was wrong.  Turns out my request was not a "taste" issue, but actually how wood flooring is to be correctly installed near a fireplace.  I had no idea there were installing "rules", but the flooring guy could see on my face that I was so disappointed and wasn't sure what to do.

The flooring guy then went to the stairway where the contractor was working and because the contractor was only on the 2nd stair, the floor guy began telling the contractor the way to do the stair treads to make sure he was doing it correctly.   There might be more than one way to install stair treads, but I didn't know what to think.  It was just one thing after the other.  I left the room while they were talking so that the 'man-discussion' could go on without anyone extra in the room.
Here's my accounting of it from the kitchen:

After a 15-minute discussion, the contractor followed the flooring guy out to the flooring guy's truck and I snapped a picture of them talking.  I was talking to the contractor's apprentice inside the house while the contractor and flooring guy were outside and the apprentice was NOT happy that the flooring guy was intruding.  That pretty much told me how the contractor was feeling too.


No comments:

Post a Comment